Sonntag, 20. Februar 2011

Academy Award predictions

Alright guys, I promised you all to deliver my Academy Award predictions this weekend and here they are. I will run through the single categories and kind of explain my choice - please bear with me...sometimes my choices are not based on the knowledge or something just on thoughts!

Best Picture : After all the hype we got about The Social Network earlier this year, going into the beginning of the Award Season and cleaning the house at the Golden Globes, the buzz settled a bit and they were caught by The King's Speech. Quiet frankly I don't know what will change about this here. I would love to see The Social Network win, but I predict The King's Speech to win here.

Leading Roles : I don't split the leading roles, nor the supporting roles up. In both categories my choices are very clear. Natalie Portman and Colin Firth are going to take home those awards for their great performance in Black Swan  and  The King's Speech. I have no doubt here.

Supporting Roles : This one is a bit more tricky than the leading role category. I think, that the Globe Winners Christian Bale and Melissa Leo have a pretty good chance of repeating their success here - both also winning the Actors Guild Award, but they also have to fear competition like Hailee Steinfeld (Why the hell is she nominated in Supporting Roles?) and Geoffrey Rush. Still I think The Fighter will get both of these awards.

Best Director : The Director Guild of America made their presence felt and awarded Tom Hooper their award for his direction in The King's Speech. 90 percent of the GDA winner have moved on to winning the Oscar in that exact same year. It's risky betting against those odds, but I am a gambler and I think, that David Fincher will get this award here. 10 percent is still a chance!

Best Writers :  I don't split those up either and so we have Aaron Sorkin and Christopher Nolan winning in my book. Sorkins Award seems to be pretty save, but Nolan is a shot in the dark. A lot of experts are saying, that it is "The royal year" but when I look at the ideas that Nolan put in Inception I think that is the better script!

Animated : Toy Story hands down!

Best Foreign :  That one is a bit tricky as well. The Globes saw the danish film In a better world winning, but something tells me, that Biutiful will win this one.

Cinematography : True Grit was shoot so well with such a great atmosphere, that I think it will win this award...probably the best chances for True Grit of winning an Oscar this year.

Editing : In my book two movies would be fighting for this Award, Inception and The Social Network. Both had to rely on perfect editing, because there were several plots and strings and locations that had to be brought into a fitting structure, and both movies succeeded in that point. Since Inception isn't nominated  The Social Network will take this one home.

Art Director : Tom Burton  for  Alice in Wonderland is the obvious choice here. It is a colorful movie that is playing in a dream world, and that dreamworld is portayed in a great way by the Art that Tom Burton put into it.

Costume Design : Same as Art Director. Alice in Wonderland wouldn't work without the costumes that are introduced in the movie.

Make Up: I don't know about that category. I believe that the voters are not really watch every movie closely enough to get every bit of Make Up and the way it is used, so I go with Wolfman coz you can't miss the Make Up there!

Original Score : I believe that Social Network will take this one home as well, cause I really like the flow of that Score, always in the back, never really in the face but always there and supporting the vibe. I fear, that The King's Speech will get this one at the end of the day, but my prediction is The Social Network!


Song : Don't heared every song nominated but I go with Randy Newman and his song for Toy Story 3 here.

Sound Mixing : Did a little research about this category and my sources are telling me, that the Sound Mixing craft is about the way dialogues and the environment are presented. So my choice here The Social Network  because so many scenes are taking place in different environments, and the atmosphere there is always pin point accurate delivered!

Sound Editing : When a movie and it's sound are supporting the story and concept of a movie in the way it is achieved in Inception it's gotta win the Oscar.

Visual Effects : Freakin spinning fight in the Hallway! Inception


Documentary : This might be a political choice and so my vote is on Inside Job. Speaking of politics...war documentary Restrepo about the Afghanistan War could be the political choice as well!

Documentary Short : Don`t know lot about those movies. Just read a few synopsis and again from a political standpoint I think Killing in the Name is having good chances of taking this one home!

Short Animated : Also only read a few thinks about those movies and Day and Night was attached to the screenings of Toy Story 3. So I guess it has pretty decent chances!

Short Film : This category I am really having no ideas what the movies are about so I just randomly pick a movie and the winner will be...Wish 143.


Thats it for the Academy Award Predictions...I am sure I won't get 24 out of 24 but I hope I have at least half of the movies right!

Summary:


The Social Network : 5 Awards
Inception : 3 Awards
The King's Speech : 2 Awards
Toy Story 3 : 2 Awards
The Fighter : 2 Awards
Black Swan : 1 Award
True Grit : 1 Award

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/fanthaiza for all updates about this blog!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen